Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Okay, not the head...maybe I can just trip her...

It is SO HARD to be a doula!

You have to carve this little ledge in between telling your families that their care provider is just straight out lying to them, and helping them to ask the right questions so that they can discover that for themselves. And sometimes, when they don't ask the right questions, you get to watch their care provider get what they want.

Which is not (most of the time) what this family has been thinking about for nine months. It just really sucks to see a strong determined family get the "dead baby" card pulled on them. Because really, how can you argue against that?

And the "infection" card is great too.

I am really just to cynical to ever go to a hospital birth, but I do it anyway. And I really try to be calm and present and avert my eyes from the care provider so that I seem meek and mild. But really I am shooting her the evil eye and praying for the next CNM to come on call.

No comments:

Post a Comment